Monday, January 24, 2011

To my Lords, Ladies,........ and all you other people out there! Hello from Himoga-an, my new area! Well I guess I'll tell you about it. It's way up North, on the language border. Any farther than this, and you'll be speaking Cebuano. Or at least a mix of Illongo and Cebuano. Luckily for me, the people here all speak Illongo. A lot of them know how to speak Cebuano, but they like Illongo better haha. So Himoga-an. This area is awesome! I wish you could see it. I'd send you some pictures, but I don't trust this internet place I'm at to use my sd card cause it'll get a virus. But picture this. I can step out the back door and the ocean is 200 yards away. Yep thats right. Beach area! It's way pretty here and just way cool, cause I've never really been around the ocean much. We have members that live like 30 ft from the ocean. It's ironic that in America, you gotta pay the big bucks to live right on the beach. Here, some of the poorest people live closest. The beach here is nice and pretty and there's no people, no garbage, no sharks, it's basically paradise. So Elder Montero (my new companion, Filipino again,) just opened this area. It's been closed for a year and two months, and I feel pretty good about reopening it, cause you don't trust just anyone to open an area. I think I've actually been assigned to my companion to keep him from getting trunky, and to keep working cause he goes home soon haha. He doesn't speak English, so at night I teach him a little bit. Our apartment is not the nicest one in the mission haha but it does the job. Everywhere in Himoga-an the water doesn't work until about 2 in the afternoon, and then stops at about 11. So we're at out house for like an hour and a half of running water haha. But luckily there's a pump across the street so I just get my bucket in the morning and fill it up so I can shower and everything. It makes me feel like a real Filipino haha. The branch here is amazing! They've only had missionaries for about 3 or 4 years here, cause it's basically in the middle of nowhere. It's in between two big cities Cadiz, and Sagay. I guess there are people here for the fishing since it's right next to the ocean. Thats what most people do here for a living. Anyways, so yeah this branch is way strong, even though they haven't had missionaries for over a year. They do things I've never seen before, they have Branch council meeting, they have visiting and home teaching! Thats huge here! They have like 6 investigators the branch missionaries taught, that want to be baptized, but haven't been able to cause there have been no missionaries. It's a small branch, 60 came to church yesterday, but they are really strong in their leadership positions. It's great. I was overwhelmed the first few days with how awesome they are, and they're just all so happy to have missionaries back! Which makes me feel pretty good :) So I think thats about it. They are all just way willing to help us out and do whatever we ask them. Get this, yesterday in branch council meeting they gave us this paper of what days what members were working with us! Anywhere else, you're lucky if you can get someone to come with you to a few lessons a week! This branch has people to work whole afternoons with us, everyday! Amazing! So I'm really excited for this branch and area. It has enormous potential if it continues the way it has. Remember that most the people have only been members for 3 or less years. I think thats why they do things so well, cause they haven't had the bad examples of other members that do nothing. So thats about it for me. I will surely pray for you all, and thank you for your prayers and everything on my behalf. Love, Elder Andersen

No comments:

Post a Comment