Monday, June 6, 2011

Well hello family. Another week has come and gone, and it's already June! This week has been good. So Kabankalan is quite a big area, but we don't work out in the far away places, unless we are working with inactives, who are inactive because they live so far away from the church, and because they weren't really converted. I honestly don't know what missionaries were thinking back in the day when they would just go out in the bukid and baptize people, cause now there are sooo many inactives/ less actives. There are about 500 members on our cmis, but only about 110 or so that actually go to church. It's a little ridiculous, so we do a lot of working with them, as well as with investigators. So we have to plan and balance out our schedule of visiting them and visiting our investigators. Right now we have a family we are teaching, and they are really good, and should be baptized in July, but it depends cause the tatay hasn't stopped smoking yet, so he has to stop first obviously. Then we are teaching this other guy and he's in his mid 40's and his wife died a couple of years ago, but he is really a neat guy, and when we meet with him he just really gets things. He always is telling us stuff he sees in other religions that they do wrong and it's just really cool to find people that actually know about stuff like that, because most people are like "We're Catholic and we're gonna stay that way" But they have no idea what their religion is all about. Then you get other people that say stuff like this:"As long as you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, you will be saved." So yeah, gotta love it. So I figured I'd tell you all a little funny story that happened this week. It actually happens quite often, I've just never told you about it before. So we were trying to find this less active family, and we went to the house and said "Tagbalay" (thats what you say when you go to peoples' houses) and this girl answers back and said "waay tawo di!" (There's no one here!) So I said back to her, "Te, ano ka, amok?" (So, what are you, a monkey?) Then you could just hear her giggling and then she just said "Wa'ay tawo di!" again! So I was like "pwede kami magpamangkot?" (Can I ask a question) she said "Ano" and I said "kilalala mo ang pamilya so and so" (do you know the so and so family) and she answered "didto sila sa pihak" (Over there on the other side) So we left the house and just as we were leaving some little kids came up and I asked them, "nagaestar kamo diri?" (do you live here?) And this little girl nodded her head yes, and I asked her if her last name was the name of the family we were trying to find and again she nodded her head, so I started laughing and just said, "ok salamat. Maghambal ka sa imo nga ate, nga hindi dapat siya magbulig." (tell your older sister that she shouldn't lie) and she was like "Ok Elder, hambalon ko sia" (ok Elder, I'll tell her). So that was just a little experience. Pretty funny. People always tell you there is no one in the house, but yet they are talking to you. I don't understand it. I don't know why I told you the whole Illongo conversation, it would have been a lot easier to just write it all in English, but whatever. So yeah, things are going well, Elder Jensen and I get along really well and work well together, and have a lot of fun. But not too much :) Thanks for everything you all do for me and all your prayers! Love you all! Elder Andersen  P.S. I ate snail for dinner last night! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment